Can anyone tell me where Paper Mill Hill in Peabody, MA is, specifically? Is it on someone’s private property? According to http://www.mindat.org/loc-33589.html it seems there is some chert (flint) to be found there. The first challenge of making stone tools is to find the right rocks to work with! If I can’t find a natural flint deposit, then I can try store-bought obsidian. I think the man who’ll be helping me with flintknapping might have some flint to spare too. We’ll see.
Tomorrow I’ll be harvesting dogbane and learning to make rope / cord from it! I’m very excited. I may also get some help with some other things tomorrow as well. I will, obviously, let you know how it goes.
I’m not going to post much today, but I’ll let you know about a few of the topics I hope to post about soon (in no particular order):
- Overview of the Paleolithic Age
- Modern Indigenous Cultures – What Can / Can’t They Tell Us About Paleolithic Cultures
- The Physics of Spear Throwing (in several parts)
- Scales of Time (geologic time, astronomical time, etc…)
- Paleolithic Fiction
- Human Patterns of Subsistence
- Speculations on the Origins of Fire and Cooking
…and of course, updates on my progress with the tasks.
Thank you for reading!